When I was about six or seven my mother made Barbie wardrobes for my sister and me. I loved every stitch of that gift, but I absolutely cherished Barbie's ice-skating dress, which was made out of flannel to mimic velvet and had a swirly skirt.
So many of us have "beloved" handmade doll dresses. We love them for different reasons.
Maybe the dress is loved for who made it,
or how we acquired it.
Or maybe it was a first attempt at sewing.
Maybe it reminds us of a child, now too old to play with dolls.
Or is connected with a memory of our own childhood.
Or maybe it is just the very essence of cute.
I am hoping you will share that dress and why you love it with us. When all the dresses are in, I will put them on the blog and we can all vote on the cutest, sweetest reason, most amazing craftsmanship and best photo.
Everyone who enters gets a 10% discount in my Etsy shop and the three winners will get fabric and trim to use to carry on the tradition of handmade doll dresses.
Here's how to enter:
1. Snap a photo of JUST the dress, in other words not on a doll. Maybe on a piece of fabric, a quilt, a plain background. Whatever you think looks best.
2. Write 1-3 sentences why you love this handmade doll dress.
3. Email the photo and reason to me at phoebeandegg at gmail.com OR
4. Submit on Instagram with the hashtag #beloveddolldress and #phoebeandegg
5. Let me know whether you do or don't want your name to appear with the photo.
6. You can enter more than once. The more beloved-ness the better.
I can't wait to see all of these beloved doll dresses! And please please please share this post.
Contest will run until August 5, 2014.